Living as an Expat in Abu Dhabi
Posted by March 27, 2014in Travelon
Abu Dhabi has become quite the destination for expats over the last decade. As a beautiful island in the country of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi is close to Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and Oman. Abu Dhabi was once a pearling island and has since grown rapidly as a leading oil foundation in the UAE. As the capitol and second largest city in the United Arab Emirates, there is a lot to offer those living as an expat in Abu Dhabi.
About Abu Dhabi
Because Abu Dhabi is the capitol, there is a lot happening in the city. Most all events and gatherings are held within the city limits, making Abu Dhabi an interesting place for foreign politics. Aside from the local politics, living as an expat in Abu Dhabi will allow you to experience an extensive mix of modern and traditional cultures, from nearly every corner of the world. Abu Dhabi operates under Muslim tradition, but the city’s population is made up of expats and locals alike, becoming a melting pot of different cultures.
Things to Do in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi is full of fun things for expats to do and see. Living as an expat in Abu Dhabi means you are no longer a tourist, but a local. Take the time to get to know the city and the activities it provides you with. Here are some great things you can do and see:
- The waterfront activities are in Abu Dhabi are some of the best in the world. Whether you are looking to relax on the beach or enjoy some water sports, the ocean waters surrounding the island city are a great source of entertainment.
- Shopping is a big time hobby for Abu Dhabi residents. The city has over 12 different malls to choose from, which means you have a wide fashion world waiting for you.
- Architecture in Abu Dhabi provides a wonderful mix of typical Islamic styles with modern styles around it. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is arguably Abu Dhabi’s finest piece of Islamic architecture. If you are looking for an amazing view of the blue waters that surround Abu Dhabi, then be sure to check out the Abu Dhabi Corniche.
Abu Dhabi is also home to various activities that make this city a fun place to live. No matter the time of year, those living as expats in Abu Dhabi can enjoy ice rinks, wakeboarding, golfing, sailing, museums, desert safari’s, and much more.
Being Social in Abu Dhabi
Part of being an expat means that you fully immerse yourself in the culture around you. This means that you become part of the social scene of your new home. Whether you befriend fellow expats or make friends with native inhabitants, you can expect to socialize in two main places:
- Malls: These are where you go to see and be seen. During the day, malls are packed with people shopping, going to the cinema, or socializing with friends.
- Hotels: Hotels are more than just places to stay; they give Abu Dhabi its nightlife. All under one roof, you can find shows, music venues, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and much more.