International Golf Travel: Going Beyond Par Infographic
Posted by March 28, 2014in Travelon
Pebble Beach (Public)
- 18 holes, par 72, 6,828 yards.
- Ranked the No.1 golf resort in America by Golf Digest Magazine in 2008. Pebble Beach has been the site of golf's most prestigious tournaments, including the annual AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, the 1972, '82, '92 and 2000 U.S. Open Championships.
- "If I had only one more round to play, I would choose to play it at Pebble Beach. I've loved this course from the first time I saw it. It's possibly the best in the world." -Jack Nicklaus.
- Bandon Dunes opened in 1999.
- All courses - Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald and Bandon Preserve - are walking only and require soft spike shoes only. Wearing denim not allowed on course.
- Bandon Dunes emulates traditional links-style golf courses in Scotland and Ireland and opened a par-3 short course with 13 holes (five fewer than the standard layout) on May 1. It may be the only 13-hole course in the U.S., said Greg Nathan, senior vice president of the National Golf Foundation.
Crooked Stick (Private)
- Membership by invitation from members
- Built in 1964 by world-renowned golf course designer Pete Dye, who has continuously refined certain aspects of the course, tinkered with bunkers, added mounds and false fronts and lengthened the course. While the essence of the course remains today, several changes made were designed to accommodate major tournaments.
- June 2005 clubhouse renovation resulted in second-place prize in the private club category of the 2006 Golf Inc. Clubhouse competition
- Most recently hosted 2009 U.S. Senior Open
Ryder Cup in Chicago
- Will be held September 25-30 at the Medinah Country Club (private), located about 30 minutes outside Chicago
- 2014 tournament will be played in Scotland
- Captains: Pro golfers Jose Maria Olazabal and Davis Love III
- Europe vs. USA
- Abe Mitchell Club = $5,000 for three-day event (only 10 tickets available per day)
- Samuel Ryder Club = $600 (one day only); 200 tickets available; sold out
St. Andrews, Scotland
- Busiest month is August. Has seven different courses. Host venue for the 2015 Open Championship. Golfers are expected to wear clothing appropriate for golf. Scruffy or town clothing is not considered appropriate. Tailored shorts are permitted. The dress code is smart casual in the clubhouses. Public course. In the history books there is no listed designer for St. Andrews. The story goes that God made that course. Golf first developed in St Andrews more than 600 years ago.
Shandong Gold Rockriver International Golf Club, Asia
- 18 holes; 72 Par; 7,244 yards. Private course.
Gãvea Golf & Country Club, South America
- Private course.
Gary Player Country Club, Sun City, South Africa
- 18-holes, par 72, 8,000 yards from the championship tees.
- Designed by Gary Player
- Regularly hosts the annual ‘Million Dollar Challenge’
The Australian Golf Club, Australia
- Guests should be invited to play by a member of The Australian unless they are from interstate or overseas, in which case they may be introduced by by the General Manager. Manager-introduced guests should be affiliated with a recognized golf club or association and hold a current membership identification card or letter of introduction from that organization. Member-sponsored golf days available. Package includes a tailored golf day with either lunch or dinner afterwards in the clubhouse. Private course. The Australian Golf Club was founded in 1882 and is the oldest golf club still in existence in Australia.