Family Travel Insurance
Atlas Travel and Atlas Group
Who Would Benefit From An Atlas Travel Plan?
Family travel insurance is an insurance policy you purchase to protect your family from unexpected medical expenses, while outside of your home country. Typically, the plan includes a mixture of medical and some travel–related benefits to meet family needs while traveling abroad. It’s important to look at the benefits, especially if your family is planning some adventurous activities, like zip lining or scuba diving, as many plans do not cover these activities. We offer Atlas Travel and Atlas Group (for families of five or more people) as a solution for traveling families needing protection.
Who Needs Family Travel Insurance?
- Families with Children
- Single-Parent Families
Why Buy Family Travel Insurance
Lots of reasons can be listed for why you should purchase family travel insurance before you go on a trip outside of your home country, but here are just a few:
Families with Children
- Since accidents are never planned and always a possibility with children, our family travel insurance plans offer coverage for emergency room visits for injuries.
- Children become ill on vacation, too, and our family travel insurance policies allow you the ability to make sure they get adequate medical care while you are in transit.
- Should you be hospitalized as the sole parent on the trip due to a covered illness or injury, our family travel insurance plans cover the return of your minor children to their home country so they are not left unattended while you are receiving necessary medical care.
- Need a family member to help you following a covered medical evacuation? Our family travel insurance plans will bring a relative to you.
- Planning to take a trip with your grandchildren? Don't worry. You can also purchase family travel insurance for people up to age 79 (or over 80 for Atlas International insurance) , so everyone travels with protection.
- Should an unexpected recurrence of an existing illness or condition affect you while you are outside your home country, our family travel insurance plan covers acute onset of pre-existing conditions.¹
Every family can benefit from our lost passport and travel document assistance services, as well as our embassy and consulate referrals, when a situation or need arises. Learn more about these and other great travel assistance services that are complimentary with our family travel insurance plans.
Compare Family Travel Insurance Plans
|Covered Benefits||Provided With Atlas Travel insurance||Atlas Travel Competitors|
|Guaranteed Acceptance||Yes: No medical underwriting is required for eligible individuals. See the Description of Coverage for full eligibility.||Yes. Some companies offer guaranteed issue policies.|
|Coverage for pre-existing conditions||Partially: Up to $100,000 lifetime maximum for the eligible medical expense for the acute onset of a pre-existing condition. See the Description of Coverage for more details.||Coverage Varies. Some companies offer no coverage or very little coverage for pre-existing conditions to non-U.S. citizens and coverage amounts can be as little as $2500.|
|100% cover for accidents and injuries outside the U.S.||Yes: We will pay 100% of eligible medical expenses after the deductible, up to the overall maximum limit of the policy. See the Description of Coverage for more details.||Coverage Varies. Some companies expect members to pay coinsurance outside the U.S. even when using their PPO network|
|100% cover for accidents and injuries inside the PPO||Yes: For eligible expenses within the PPO Network, after the deductible; outside of the network incurred charges are also subject to coinsurance. See the Description of Coverage for more details||Coverage Varies. Some companies expect members to pay coinsurance even within the PPO.|
|Sports coverage at no additional charge||Yes: Coverage for eligible injuries or illnesses related to sports activities,. See the Description of Coverage for for limitations.||No. Up to 20% additional cost to add coverage for sports|
|Emergency medical evacuations available 24/7||Yes, $500,000 in cover regardless of policy maximum||Yes, but coverage amounts for medical evacuation are much lower.|
|Complete online enrollment capabilities & immediate fulfillment||Yes: Selecting 'Yes' to online fulfillment when purchasing will ensure your policy information will be available to print once your application has been processed and your credit card approved.||Varies.|
Want to know more about Family Travel insurance, how it works, and the benefits? Read more below:
Family Travel Insurance Tips
Because many U.S. domestic insurance plans offer little or no emergency medical coverage outside of the country and Medicare and Medicaid do not pay for any treatments outside the U.S., check that you and your family are properly protected before your trip.
Here are a few planning tips to help keep your family healthy while traveling internationally and to make your trip more enjoyable, too.
- Only drink bottled water and ice cubes made from bottled/distilled water to avoid stomach illnesses and dehydration.
- If you or a family member have a special medical condition, carry pertinent information at all times.
- Be sure to know how to pronounce any allergies you or a member of your family have in the language of the country you are visiting.
- Prior to your departure, check with the Transportation Security Administration for any prohibited medications and make any necessary arrangements.
- If allowed, take your and any family member's prescription medication(s) in your carry-on bags, rather than checked luggage.
- Carry a letter from your prescribing doctor stating you or a family member is taking a controlled substance and/or any injections to avoid any misunderstandings.
- Find out if you or your family member's medication is available in the country you plan to visit in case it is lost or stolen and needs to be replaced. If it is not, talk with your doctor regarding alternative options available there.
- Determine if your domestic insurance provides you adequate coverage while outside of the country. If not, look into purchasing a family travel insurance plan, such as Atlas Group.
*The claims example provided above is based on actual international health insurance claims handled by HCCMIS. Coverage for similar international health insurance claims is not to be inferred from the above example, as all claims are determined to be eligible/ineligible based on the applicable international health insurance policy and the facts and circumstances of each claim.
¹ See the Description of Coverage for details on the Acute Onset of a Pre-existing Condition benefit.
² See the Description of Coverage for details on the Lost Checked Luggage benefit.
³ CBS Interactive Business Network. “The New Family Vacation – demographics, US – Statistical Data Included”, March 18, 2011, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_2001_August_1/ai_78426765/
HCC Medical Insurance Services, LLC (HCCMIS) is a service company that is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings Inc. HCCMIS is regulated by the State of Indiana in our capacity as Third Party Administrator. HCCMIS has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.