Holiday Travel Insurance
Holiday travel insurance is an easy way to ensure access to medical care while travelling. In addition to health-related issues, it also covers displacement due to natural disasters and trip interruption, for eligible expenses. Many domestic health insurance policies offer little or no coverage outside the United States, holiday travel insurance allows you to travel with the confidence of knowing you’re prepared if the need arises.
Who Needs Holiday Travel Insurance
- International friends reuniting at their favorite cafe in France
- European couples traveling to a warm location for a reprieve
- Intra-regional family travelers on holiday
Why Buy Holiday Travel Insurance?
International holidays can be especially expensive when taking the whole family along. Flights, hotels, and car rentals are likely to be much more expensive during the holiday season making an already stressful decision-making process that much worse. Consider purchasing a holiday travel insurance plan, like Atlas International® insurance, with coverage starting at less than $1 a day for our lowest level plans. Atlas International insurance can be purchased for as little as 5 days with a maximum initial purchase of 364 days of coverage. If eligible you can even extend or renew your Atlas International insurance coverage for up to 3 certificate periods. Feel secure with holiday travel, knowing that in addition to the Atlas International travel medical insurance benefits, your coverage will include the following travel assistance services free of charge if you need them²:
- While on your holiday, you want to guarantee you will have access to medical care if it becomes necessary. Holiday travel insurance will cover your eligible medical expenses with zero cost to you after your deductible if you are outside the United States.
- Should a natural disaster strike while you are on your trip, holiday travel insurance will cover if you are displaced from previously purchased accommodations due to evacuation from a forecasted disaster.
- Holidays get interrupted for many reasons. Holiday travel insurance will help you get back home if your trip is interrupted due to a death in your immediate family or damage to your principle residence.
Free Holiday Travel Services with our Plan
- Travel Tips & Alerts
- Emergency Travel Arrangements
- 24/7 Translation & Interpretation Assistance
- Replacing Lost Financial and Travel Documents
- Lost Luggage Assistance
• Travel Tips & Alerts – Be prepared before your holiday travel by reviewing the HCCMIS Travel Board for useful information related to your destination country. The HCCMIS Travel Board provides the ability for you to search for up-to-date information regarding travel alerts, health risks, travel restrictions, weather conditions, useful tourist information, the latest social media posts, videos, and pictures specific to the geographic region of your choice.
• Emergency Travel Arrangements – Should something come up while you are traveling overseas that interrupts your trip, you can get assistance in making last minute changes in your hotel, car rental or airline travel plans with this travel assistance service.
• 24/7 Translation & Interpretation Assistance – Let’s say you’re a visitor in a country where you don’t speak the local language or you find yourself with a doctor that does not speak your native tongue fluently. It would be very important to be able to communicate to the physician or nurse to which medications you are allergic. The Atlas Travel Series comes with access to international travel services that include this critical translation and interpretation service when you need it.
• Replacing Lost Financial & Travel Documents – As you can imagine, sometimes holiday travel does not go according to plan. When traveling in large groups or with family, it tends to happen that someone may misplace a credit card, travelers check, passport, airline ticket, or other travel-related document. As part of the services offered with our Atlas Travel medical insurance plans, we can help assist you in replacing lost or stolen documents while you are abroad.
• Lost Luggage Assistance – It will be hard to go snorkeling if you don’t have a swimming suit! Losing your luggage can be a major pain, but we can help. When you purchase an Atlas Travel plan, you will receive assistance in tracking your luggage should it get lost while you are on your trip overseas.
Any holiday traveler can benefit from our pre-trip destination information provided by our new Travel Board, as well as lost luggage assistance if the need arises. Find out more about these and other great travel assistance services that come complimentary with our Holiday travel insurance plans and are supported by our World Service Centre.
Compare Holiday Travel Insurance Plans
|Covered Benefits||Provided With Atlas Travel®||Atlas Travel® Competitors|
|Guaranteed Acceptance||Yes: No medical underwriting is required for eligible individuals. See the Description of Coverage for full eligibility.||Yes. Some companies offer guaranteed issue policies.|
|Coverage for pre-existing conditions||Partially: Up to $100,000 lifetime maximum for the eligible medical expense for the acute onset of a pre-existing condition. See the Description of Coverage for more details.||Coverage Varies. Some companies offer no coverage or very little coverage for pre-existing conditions to non-U.S. citizens and coverage amounts can be as little as $2500.|
|100% coverage for accidents and injuries outside the U.S.||Yes: We will pay 100% of eligible medical expenses after the deductible, up to the overall maximum limit of the policy. See the Description of Coverage for more details.||Coverage Varies. Some companies expect members to pay coinsurance outside the U.S. even when using their PPO network|
|100% coverage for accidents and injuries inside the PPO||Yes: For eligible expenses within the PPO Network. See the Description of Coverage for more details.||Coverage Varies. Some companies expect members to pay coinsurance even within the PPO.|
|Sports coverage at no additional charge||Yes: Coverage for eligible injuries or illnesses related to sports activities. See the Description of Coverage for limitations.||No. Up to 20% additional cost to add coverage for sports|
|Emergency medical evacuations available 24/7||Yes, $500,000 in cover regardless of policy maximum||Yes, but coverage amounts for medical evacuation are much lower.|
|Complete online enrollment capabilities & immediate fulfillment||Yes: Selecting 'Yes' to online fulfillment when purchasing will ensure your policy information will be available to print once your application has been processed and your credit card approved||Varies.|
|Crisis response benefit||Yes: $10,000 certificate period maximum covering losses resulting from kidnapping or express kidnapping||No. Competitor travel medical plans do not include a crisis response benefit.|
|Personal liability benefit||Yes: $10,000 lifetime maximum covering losses due to a third-party injury or damage/loss of third-party personal property or related-third-party personal property. This benefit applies only for court-entered eligible judgments or approved settlements.||No. Competitor travel medical plans do not include a personal liability benefit.|
Want to know more about holiday travel insurance, how it works, and the benefits? Read more below:
Holiday Travel Tips
Packing Tips for the Top 5 U.S. Destinations
For international travelers, New York ranks as the number one tourist destination in the United States, according to the Office of Travel and Tourism Industries.¹ The cities rounding out the top six most popular U.S. destinations are:
Since a trip to Manhattan can be markedly different from an adventure in Hawaii during the same period, it is important to be aware of weather patterns in these distinct American destinations. Here are a few tips to aid in the packing process:
The Big Apple attracted more than 4.2 million overseas visitors (excluding those from Canada and Mexico) in 2010, making it the most popular U.S. destination for Europeans. Choosing the most appropriate clothing for a trip to New York is largely dependent on the time of year. During the summer months, New Yorkers can bake in 80-plus degree Fahrenheit weather. In the winter months, the city’s residents often are plunged into freezing temperatures. However, whether cold or hot, some form of precipitation is usually just around the corner in New York. The city is subject to approximately four inches of rainfall on average most months and a total of about 22 inches of snow during winter. Tourists planning to spend the New Year in Times Square should pack an insulated coat, a thick pair of gloves and snow boots.
This popular Florida destination attracted more than 3.2 million international visitors last year. With its subtropical climate, which includes temperatures in the 90s during the summer, sandals, shorts and t-shirts are perennial favorites in Miami. However, the city does experience around 60 inches of annual rainfall, so a light waterproof jacket should not be left at home. Also, don’t forget the sunscreen.
Attracting nearly 2.6 million overseas visitors last year, Los Angeles has a similarly warm, but undoubtedly much drier, climate than Miami. With temperatures hitting the mid-80s during the summer and precipitation totaling just 0.01 inches in July, the California city boasts an abundance of sunny days. Tourists should pack plenty of T-shirts, jeans, shorts, and other loose-fitting garments for a trip to Los Angeles.
This tourist destination has a similar weather pattern to New York. The city in New Jersey, which drew nearly 1.8 million international visitors, last year, has an average annual temperature of 54.8 F. When packing for a trip to Newark, tourists should keep in mind that temperatures can climb to 100 degrees in the summer. Like New York, it receives about two feet of snowfall during the winter.
Last year, Honolulu welcomed more than 1.4 million overseas tourists. As expected in this tropical paradise, tourists should pack an array of shorts, T-shirts, shades and other casual gear for their trip. Honolulu enjoys superb weather throughout the year, with average temperatures rarely dipping below 72 degrees in January and 82 degrees in July.
HCC Medical Insurance Services, LLC (HCCMIS) is a service company that is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings Inc. HCCMIS is regulated by the State of Indiana in our capacity as Third Party Administrator. HCCMIS has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.