Study in Iowa
Studying abroad is one of the most important things a college student can do. Not only will it be a great learning opportunity for you, but you will also have a chance to meet new people and explore new places. Whether you are interested in history, nature, architecture, or culturally relevant entertainment, studying abroad will provide you with those things. When you are deciding where to study abroad, the entire world is literally open to you. However, if you choose to study abroad in Iowa then you will be making a decision that will continue to impact your life forever. Whether it is the people or the places, Iowa is sure to become a great new home for you.
Where to Study in Iowa
When you decide to study in Iowa you have several choices of schools that all provide a great opportunity for you. Here are a few that you should check out when making your decision on where to study in Iowa:
Iowa State University
As a top public university in the nation, Iowa State University is known for its chemical and civil engineering, journalism, and communications degrees. Iowa State University requires international students to be covered by a student health insurance plan. StudentSecure meets the requirements for the health insurance waiver form for J-1 and F-1 students. With purchase of StudentSecure, you will receive a medical insurance card to send to the university.
University of Iowa
The University of Iowa is known around the nation as one of the best universities in the country. It is known most for its writing, pharmacy, school of art, and education programs. All international students attending the University of Iowa are required to have student health insurance during the academic calendar in order to attend. StudentSecure meets the requirements for the health insurance waiver form for University of Iowa students. With the purchase of StudentSecure, you will receive a copy of your policy and medical insurance card to send to the university along with the waiver form.
University of Northern Iowa
Mostly known for its programs in business, education and English, University of Northern Iowa is a top university for international students in the Midwest region.
Located in Clinton, Iowa, Ashford University is best known for its programs in business and education.
Common International Student Health Insurance Benefits
|Benefit||What it Means||StudentSecure includes?|
|Monthly Payments||Coverage can be paid for on a monthly basis||Yes|
|U.S. PPO Network||Online searchable provider network||Yes, with physicians across the U.S.|
|100% Coinsurance within the PPO network||100% of eligible injuries and illnesses are covered after the deductible||Yes|
|Inpatient Hospitalization||If you are injured or ill and need hospitalization for more than 24 hours, this is considered inpatient hospitalization||Yes|
|Coverage for prescription drugs||Your prescriptions are covered by your plan||Yes|
|Coverage for maternity||Expenses related to covered pregnancy are covered by the plan||Yes. Maternity covered 80% within the PPO and 60% outside the PPO up to the coverage maximum for StudentSecure Select. Maternity covered 80% within the PPO and 60% outside the PPO up to $5,000 for StudentSecure Budget.|
What to Do in Iowa
You may not be that familiar with the great state of Iowa and you may be questioning why Iowa for studying abroad. The truth is Iowa is a great place for anyone new to the US. It provides a number of great cultural sites to explore and it is a giant outdoor playground. Here are a few things that you will be able to do while you study in Iowa:
- Adventureland Park- Located just outside of Des Moines, Iowa, Adventureland Park is a great place to go for some thrilling fun. With roller coasters, water rides, and a few more relaxing rides, Adventureland Park is a great place to spend a day (or two).
- National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium- If you want to learn about the importance the Mississippi River played in American history and see some great river animals of the Mississippi, then this is the place for you!
- State Parks- Iowa is full of dozens of state parks. Each park has hiking trails, places to canoe, and great overlook sites.
- Field of Dreams Movie Site- A famous movie featuring Kevin Costner, "Field of Dreams" was filmed in Iowa and the site is now a popular destination complete with a baseball field in the middle of a corn field.
- Des Moines Botanical Center- If you find yourself in Des Moines, then you will want to be sure to check out the Botanical Center and all 14 acres of outdoor art and gardens.
What to Pack When Studying Abroad
When you study abroad you are leaving your home for a longer stretch of time than you probably ever have in the past. There are certain things that you will need to pack that you probably have not had to in the past. Check out this list of things to pack before you begin:
- Clothes- Obviously you will need to pack clothing, but you should do some research on the weather of your new home so that you can pack the appropriate clothes. You might also want to acquire some clothing that people from the area wear so you look more local.
- Passport, Visa, Other Documents- You need to make sure that as you travel you have your passport, visa, and other important documents like your student health insurance card with you. It is suggested that you carry a copy, and leave a copy at home so that if you lose one, retrieving the information is not too difficult.
- Camera- Do not leave home without your camera because you will want to capture images of your new friends and of all the exciting places you will be visiting.
- Money- It is best you set a budget for yourself and stick to it, but you should take some cash with you while traveling, just in case you need it.
- Mementos of Home- You will want to take something with you that is small and will help you remember home. No matter how confident you are that you will not become homesick, there is a good chance you will. Having some pictures of your friends and family will help make those times much easier.
Remember that no matter where you end up, studying abroad is a great opportunity for you. Find a school that fits with your interest and personalities and keep an open mind. Iowa may just be the best place for you to travel and learn.
International Student Health Insurance Options
HCC Medical Insurance Services, LLC (HCCMIS) is a service company that is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings Inc. HCCMIS is regulated by the State of Indiana in our capacity as Third Party Administrator. HCCMIS has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.