Study in the UK
Studying abroad is an excellent way for any student to gain not only classroom knowledge, but real-life experiences that will continue to help them with their lives long after the experience is over. Some students enjoy studying in the tropical rainforests of Central America. Others like the down under appeal of the outback. Still, others choose to study in more traditional places like the United Kingdom because it is brimming with history, class, wonderful people, and amazing things to see and do.
What to See and Do in the UK
The UK has some of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. As a student studying abroad in the UK, you will have many opportunities to see these things, but you may end up having trouble deciding which things you want to see. Here is a list of some places that are must-sees for anyone:
- Stonehenge: Just north of Salisbury, Stonehenge is a famous prehistoric monument that is famous all around the world. It is a popular destination. While no one really knows the original purpose of this large rock structure, it is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site you won’t want to miss.
- Thames River/London Tower Bridge: The Thames River is the famous river that runs through the heart of London. While the river still plays a vital role in the economics of the city, now it is most known now because of the many bridges that cross it. One of the most famous bridges, the London Tower Bridge, has two towers with connecting walkways that provide some of the most amazing views of the river and the city.
- Shakespeare's Globe: An accurate reconstruction of the famous Globe Theatre that once housed Shakespeare's plays, you can still take in a play here regularly. Be prepared to stand during the show because seating is limited just like in Shakespeare’s time.
- Hadrian's Wall: Once serving as the northern border for Roman Britain, Hadrian's Wall stretches 73 miles wide. Eventually it was abandoned by the Romans and mostly unkempt until it became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987. While part of the wall has disappeared, you can still find sections of it and you will not want to miss out on that opportunity.
- Windsor Castle: This castle is not only a historical site, but still functions as a home for many people. Not only is the inside of the castle and the outside architecture an amazing feature, but the gardens and grounds surrounding the castle are well worth the time it takes to visit.
Common International Student Health Insurance Benefits
|Benefit||What it Means||StudentSecure includes?|
|Monthly Payments||Coverage can be paid for on a monthly basis||Yes|
|U.S. PPO Network||Online searchable provider network||Yes, with physicians across the U.S.|
|100% Coinsurance||100% of eligible injuries and illnesses are covered after the deductible||Yes|
|In patient Hospitalization||If you are injured or ill and need hospitalized for more than 24 hours, this is considered inpatient hospitalization||Yes|
|Coverage for prescription drugs||Your prescriptions are covered by your plan||Yes|
|Coverage for maternity||Expenses related to covered pregnancy are covered by the plan||Yes. Maternity covered 80% within the PPO and 60% outside the PPO up to the coverage maximum for StudentSecure Select. Maternity covered 80% within the PPO and 60% outside the PPO up to $5,000 for StudentSecure Budget.|
As you begin looking for places to live and visit, you may be interested in going to a new city. Maybe you do not want to see every tourist destination, but you do want to experience the real life of the people that live in the UK. The best way to do this is to be immersed in the culture and the people around you. This may mean that you are traveling to cities. The question is: what cities? Here are some cities that are well-worth your time to visit:
- London: Most people know London because it is the capital of England, but London is full of things to discover. From its many districts and people, England is full of shops, restaurants, museums, and art.
- Oxford: Famous for Oxford University, this city is actually home to numerous higher education institutions, excellent shopping, a few libraries, amazing architecture, and the famous Covered Market.
- Edinburgh: Known because it is the capital of Scotland and famous for the University of Edinburgh, the city of Edinburgh offers something for every type of traveler. Complete with a castle, this city really is old meets new.
- Cardiff: For those looking for a city a little more off the beaten path, then Cardiff might be great for you. Located in Wales, Cardiff is a port city that provides travelers with a history of Wales and England. The city is home to three different castles and many other famous landmarks.
- Glasgow: Whether you are studying in England, Scotland, or Wales, you will want to make the trip to Glasgow. As the largest city in Scotland it has so much to offer anyone traveling. Rich with Scottish history and pride, this city now offers a bustling nightlife, amazing food, and great shopping.
- Bath: Famous for the Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths, this city is a must see because of its history, amazing architecture, and great small city vibes. If you are able to make a trip to Bath you will not regret it.
Where to Study in the UK
Whether you are continuing your education, studying English in the UK, or simply looking to take some classes that will transfer back to your home school, there are many universities in the UK that provide excellent education. Here are a few schools you may want to consider:
Where to Study English in the UK
- Oxford University
- Edinburgh University
- University of Manchester
- University of Cambridge
- University of the Arts London
- University of Glasgow
- Cardiff University
Remember as you look for that perfect place to study abroad that you need to find a place that really fits what you are looking for. Do not settle for the first school you find and be sure you take your time making your decision. Studying abroad is one of the most amazing adventures of your life, so be sure you enjoy it and explore everything that you can
International Student Health Insurance Options
HCC Medical Insurance Services, LLC (HCCMIS) is a service company that is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings Inc. HCCMIS is regulated by the State of Indiana in our capacity as Third Party Administrator. HCCMIS has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.