International Student Health Insurance FAQs

What is international student health insurance?
International student health insurance is healthcare coverage designed specifically to meet the needs of students who are pursuing an education in a host country. Often, these students participate in formal exchange programs, although this is not required to qualify for international health coverage. Study abroad insurance plans provide access to a global network of healthcare providers at prices that meet the budgets of traveling students.
Who needs study abroad insurance?
Anyone who is planning to live in a foreign country for the purpose of pursing an education needs study abroad insurance. Traditional health insurance typically offers limited international coverage, which can make it difficult for students studying abroad to access affordable health coverage while traveling.
Will StudentSecure® meet the insurance requirements of my J-1 visa?
The U.S. Department of State issues J-1 visas as a part of the international visitor exchange program. All J-1 visa holders are required to carry minimum health insurance coverage that includes $50,000 per incident, as well as other stipulations, such as a deductible that cannot exceed $500. StudentSecure insurance exceeds these coverage requirements, providing far more coverage and a much lower deductible of only $100 per incident.
Who is eligible for coverage?
In order to be eligible for a StudentSecure insurance plan, you must be a full time student pursuing an education in a country in which you do not reside. However, if you plan to study in the US, the full time student requirement is waived if you hold a valid F-1 or J-1 visa or are on Optional Practical Training (OPT). A copy of your I-20 or DS2019 may be requested to verify a valid visa is held.
What does study abroad insurance cover?
Study abroad insurance provides the same type of coverage you would receive at home, only with more limitations. You’ll have access to inpatient and outpatient care, as well as mental health coverage, maternity coverage, and sports participation coverage. However, coverage is limited to maximum benefits that are determined by the policy purchased. For more information about the types of insurance coverage available, please review the explanation of coverage and benefits.
My spouse and children are traveling with me. Are they covered?
No. StudentSecure does not include dependent coverage.
What are the coverage period limitations?
Coverage becomes effective upon submission and reception of an application and the correct premium as long as you meet eligibility requirements. If you submit your application and premium by mail, coverage begins at 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time on the date your application and payment are received. If you have submitted your premium and application, but you are not yet eligible for insurance coverage, your benefit period will begin at 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time on the date you meet eligibility requirements. Coverage remains active until the end date requested on your application unless you otherwise fail to pay your premium or no longer meet eligibility requirements. For example, if you are no longer enrolled as a full time student or you decide to return to your home country for more than 15 days, coverage will be terminated at 12:01 a.m. on the date you no longer meet coverage restrictions.
I plan to play collegiate sports abroad. Am I covered for sports-related injury?
StudentSecure® Elite and StudentSecure Select provide up to $5,000 in coverage for each injury sustained while participating in collegiate or club-level sports. StudentSecure Budget offers $3,000 per injury in coverage. Sports injuries are excluded under StudentSecure Smart.
I have a pre-existing health condition. Am I covered?
Yes. From the your policy's effective date, there is a 6-month waiting period for coverage for pre-existing conditions on StudentSecure Select and a 12-month waiting period for coverage for pre-existing conditions on StudentSecure Budget.
I am on a tight budget. Is there a way to save money on my study abroad insurance?
Yes. Depending on the insurance plan you choose, you may save as much as $60 annually for paying your insurance premiums in full when you purchase your policy. Also, the plan you choose determines the cost of your premium. The StudentSecure® Budget plan is tailored for students with limited funding, although all plans are affordable and priced to meet student budgets.
I need help funding my international study expenses. What can I do?
There are numerous resources for financial aid that are available to domestic students traveling abroad and international students visiting the U.S. Domestic students typically have the broadest access to scholarships, grants and loans, although international students may be able to find financial aid assistance from various colleges and third-party organizations.
I plan to visit home occasionally while studying abroad. Am I covered in my home country?
Yes. You may visit your home country and maintain your international student health insurance for a period of up to 15 days for every 3 months you have been covered, after which you must return to full-time study in your host country. However, the purpose of the visit to your home country must not be to seek treatment for a health condition or illness.


Related Links

Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by Tokio Marine HCC – International Group.