Study in Africa
When you are in college or high school, the world of opportunities in front of you is enormous. You get have the opportunity to live on your own, choose your classes, and make new friends. An even greater opportunity is the chance to study abroad in Africa. Because Africa is so large and encompasses so many diverse cultures you will can experience so many new things. Whether you are looking to study in a city or learn from the culture of an African tribe, you will be able to find a program that really fits with what you want to learn and what you want to do with your life experience.
What to Expect When you Study in Africa
Africa is going to be extremely different from what you are used to. No matter where you are from, the culture, the weather, and the people are going to be new things for you. Try to think of it as an adventure and keep an open mind. Explore the world around you, but do so with these things in mind:
- Do not expect to see lions and rhinos around every corner. In fact, many of the African animals you expect to see do not live everywhere. Animals are known to be in certain areas of the country and tend to stay in those areas unless they live on an animal reserve or in a park.
- Expect different weather for different areas of the country. Many think that Africa is completely made up of the savanna areas that we see in movies, but actually it is a very diverse country when it comes to ecosystems. You can expect deserts, jungles, savannas, and grasslands.
- Culture shock is going to happen to you as you travel, learn, and explore Africa. The city culture may seem fairly familiar, but it will also be different. You will see more poverty and as you travel, you are most likely going to come across communities that have way less than you do.
- Be sure to keep an open mind as you study in Africa. This is a time for you to learn both inside and outside of the classroom. Expect to be surprised by the things you see, the things you do, and the people you meet. Think of this opportunity as an adventure.
Common International Student Health Insurance Benefits
|Benefit||What it Means||StudentSecure includes?|
|Monthly Payments||Coverage can be paid for on a monthly basis||Yes|
|U.S. PPO Network||Online searchable provider network with over 400,000 physicians across the U.S.||Yes|
|100% Coinsurance within the PPO network||100% of eligible injuries and illnesses are covered after the deductible by your insurance company||Yes|
|In patient Hospitalization||If you are injured or ill and need hospitalized for more than 24 hours, this is considered inpatient hospitalization||Yes|
|Coverage for prescription drugs||Your prescriptions are covered by your plan||Yes|
|Coverage for maternity||Expenses related to covered pregnancy are covered by the plan||Yes|
Where to Visit in Africa
Since Africa is such a large continent, the amount of things you can see and do are almost limitless. Deciding where you want to visit in Africa can be extremely difficult because you are most likely going to have a limited amount of time to travel and explore. Here are some things you do not want to miss out on:
- Mount Kilimanjaro- As the tallest mountain in Africa, Mt. Kilimanjaro provides some breathtaking views. If you enjoy hiking, being in nature, and seeing some of Africa’s wildlife, then visiting Mount Kilimanjaro is a great trip to take while you study in Africa.
- Victoria Falls - Located at the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia, Victoria Falls is the largest “curtain falls” on earth. Not only will you be able to see the Falls, but you can swim in the natural pools at the top of the falls and experience some of the most diverse wildlife in the world.
- The Pyramids - Egypt is often forgotten as an African country, but it offers some of the most amazing things to see in the world. If you are able to travel to Egypt make sure you visit the Pyramids and wonder in the marvel of them.
- Wildebeest Migration- The wildebeest migration takes plains in Kenya and Tanzania. Hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebras migrate as the seasons change. The migration is regarded as one of the most spectacular natural events to occur and the greatest wildlife show.
- Krugar National Park - One of the biggest draws for Africa is the wildlife and the best way to see that wildlife is to visit one of the many reserves or game parks. The Krugar National Park is located in South Africa and is known to have one of the biggest varieties of animals in Africa. The park is also a leader in environmental management techniques and policies.
What to Avoid in Africa
- Scams and Cons- Because parts of Africa are so war torn and poor, scams happen every day. Con men tend to prey on travelers because they know foreigners tend to have more money. It is recommended that you do not actually hand out money to strangers. If you find you want to help those in need, find an organization to donate to.
- War Torn Countries- The history of some countries is violent, and they are still at war in some regions. It is best to avoid these areas: Tunisia, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Algeria. It is best to check with the State Department before you leave for Africa to learn about the places to avoid.
Africa is an enormous continent and there are a few things and places you will want to avoid while you are traveling around. Stick to well lit areas in cities and always travel with at least one person. If you do decide to take trips, then be sure you use and hire a company that has a great reputation. Do not let some of the unrest in Africa keep you from exploring the continent. There is so much to see and do while you study in Africa. Just remember to be safe and do research before you go anywhere new!
International Student Health Insurance Options
HCC Medical Insurance Services, LLC (HCCMIS) is a service company that is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings Inc. HCCMIS is regulated by the State of Indiana in our capacity as Third Party Administrator. HCCMIS has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.