H-4 Visa Health Insurance

Atlas Travel Insurance


Customizable travel medical insurance for single trips.



Get a Quote

Is your family moving to the U.S.? Then they will need an H-4 visa – and don’t forget about insurance!

What is an H-4 Visa?

The H-4 Visa is for the spouses and dependents of other H-type visa holders. Family members which are granted an H-4 visa are given a valid visa for the same period of time given to the principal visa holder. Your visa depends on their visa, which means that when their visa expires, so does yours. Individuals that qualify for an H-4 visa include the spouse and unmarried children of an H-category visa holder. The H-4 visa will not entitle you to work while in the United States, but you will be able to attend school without having to apply for an additional student visa. The H-4 visa will also allow you to travel in and out of the U.S. as long as you hold a valid visa.

When you come to the U.S, it is important to have access to medical care and insurance that covers you for emergencies. While you are on an H-4 Visa, you will want to consider H4 visa health insurance for any medical emergencies that could happen while you are in the U.S. HCCMIS offers Atlas America® insurance for those looking for insurance.

Benefits of H-4 Visa Coverage

  • Atlas America covers eligible sicknesses and injuries while you are traveling from your home country and while you are in the U.S. Atlas America can be a valuable addition to your planning to come to the U.S. on an H-4 visa.
  • Individuals who buy Atlas America insurance are provided with a visa letter showing proof of coverage which shows the visa holder's name, passport information, length of stay, and medical coverage maximums which can be taken to your visa interview appointment.
  • With Atlas America, you get access to a whole network of doctors and hospitals in locations across the country willing to help you in the event of a medical emergency.
  • Atlas America also connects you with the World Service Center, a team of customer service professionals trained to assist in English, Spanish, and many other languages in the event of a sickness, accident, or other type of medical emergency.

To find out if you need an H-4 Visa, you will also want to contact your local Consulate or Embassy.

Moving to America on an H-4 Visa

  • Get Medical Insurance: The U.S. Department of State recommends some nonimmigrant visa holders to provide proof of health insurance to establish an applicant’s eligibility. Visit the U.S. Department of State’s website to verify if this is required for your visa here.
  • Find An Apartment/House: The first step in renting is always finding somewhere to rent. You can use the internet to search for a house or apartment that fits your family’s specific needs and budget. After you have found the apartment or house you wish to rent, you should contact either the owner or manager of the property. The owner or manager will be able to guide you through the application and leasing process. After you have examined the space, sign the lease. Keep in mind the terms of your temporary H4 visa, and only sign a lease for the amount of time you will need the living space.
  • Make Local Friends: Once you get settled in your temporary home, befriend some of your neighbors and see how they live. Their lifestyle might be different from yours, but they could also be very helpful as you adapt to life in a foreign country. Having a valid H4 visa allows you the opportunity to get a driver’s license and pursue educational opportunities so get out and explore!

Steps to Applying for an H-4 Visa

  1. Complete a non-immigrant visa application. The H-4 visa application form is called the DS-160.
  2. Pay the application visa fee.
  3. Get a photo. This is an important part of the visa application and the U.S. Department of State has specific requirements. View visa application photo requirements here.
  4. Take your visa interview appointment letter and valid passport for each applicant.
  5. Take original documentation including birth certificate or marriage certificate.
  6. You will also need a copy of the principal visa holders, form I-129, and employment verification letter.
  7. If your spouse is already working in the U.S., come prepared with a pay stub from the principal applicant's current place of work and income tax.

Get an Atlas Travel Quote

Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by Tokio Marine HCC – International Group.