Work Visa Insurance

Atlas Travel Insurance


Customizable travel medical insurance for single trips.



Get a Quote

Looking to work in the US temporarily? Don’t forget work visa insurance!

Atlas America® Work Visa Insurance

  • Atlas America insurance covers eligible sicknesses and injuries while you are traveling from your home country and while you are in the U.S.
  • Upon purchase of Atlas America insurance, you are provided with a visa letter, which shows the visa holder's name, passport information, length of stay, and medical coverage maximums. This letter can be taken to your visa interview appointment as proof of coverage.
  • With Atlas America, you get access to a whole network of doctors and hospitals in locations across the country willing to help you in the event of a medical emergency.

How to Get a USA Work Visa

1. Find a qualifying employer.
In order to qualify for an H2-A Visa or an H2-B Visa, you must already have work with a U.S. employer. Your employer must follow all of the necessary procedures to hire you. As your visa sponsor, it will be their job, to ensure all the paper work is correct. With this in mind, you should only consider jobs from employers who have been approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Your employer will submit Form I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker) to the USCIS and will receive a temporary labor certification.

2. Get work visa insurance.
The U.S. Department of State recommends some nonimmigrant visa holders to provide proof of health insurance to establish an applicant’s eligibility. Visit the U.S. Department of State’s website to verify if this is required for your visa. If you are traveling to the U.S. on a work visa, you will want to make sure that you have travel medical insurance. HCCMIS offers Atlas America insurance for those looking for work visa insurance. Atlas America covers eligible sicknesses and injuries while you are traveling from your home country including travel within the U.S. Atlas America could be exactly the type of insurance that you need while on your USA work visa.

Get a Quote

3. Apply for a visa.
Once you have your job offer, you can begin the application process for a visa. To start the application process, you must file an application and sign up for an interview with a Consular Officer. You can sign up for the interview on the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you. The U.S. Department of State provides a list of these websites on their website.

Types of Work Visas

H2A Visa

The H2A Visa is for temporary or seasonal agricultural workers seeking job opportunities in the United States. States all across America hire foreign workers to tend their fields, help with livestock, and pick fruit. In 2010, 44% of all U.S. hired farm workers were born in a foreign country. Typically speaking, workers who need the H2A visa are those that are seeking work in the production and/or harvesting of a certain crop. Usually, those on an agricultural worker visa are only in the country for a “season” or a predetermined period. However, workers can stay in the country for a period of up to a year, so long as their employers can justify the additional time. If spouses or dependents wish to move with you, they must apply for an H4 visa.

H2B Visa

The H2B Visa is for non-agricultural temporary workers seeking work opportunities in the United States. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the H2B visa is valid for up to a one year period. While holders of the H2B visa are unable to work in agriculture, there are a number of other fields in which visitors with this visa can work. While many H2B visa holders work in one of the many service industries of the U.S., you are not limited to those areas. There is an H2B visa cap, meaning that only 66,000 H2B visas are given out each year. The H2B visa is only for those who will be working, so if spouses or dependents wish to come with an H2B visa holder, they must apply for an H4 visa.

H4 Visa

Family members granted an H4 visa are given a valid visa for the same period of time as the principal visa holder. Your visa depends on their visa, which means that when their visa expires, so does yours. Individuals that qualify for an H4 visa include the spouse and unmarried children of an H-category visa holder.

L1 Visa

The L1 Intracompany Transferees Visa is specifically for professionals who have worked for at least one continuous year out of the last three for a country based outside of the United States. You are eligible for the L1 Visa if your company is sending you to work for a U.S.-based branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of theirs in an executive or managerial capacity, or if they require your specialized knowledge. Families of L1 Visa holders are required to apply for the Visa. As a part of the application process, the principal L1 Visa holder will have to prove that he or she is able to financially support his or her family in the US.

L2 Visa

According to the U.S. Department of State, the L2 visa is for the spouses and minor, unmarried children of L1 Visa holders. Since the primary purpose of your stay in the U.S. is your family member’s intracompany transfer, the terms of your L2 visa are dependent on the terms of their L1 visa. If you are a spouse who wishes to work while in the U.S., you will need to apply for an “employment authorized” L-2 visa.

Work Visa Insurance

There are different types of nonimmigrant USA work visas for foreign workers who wish to work in the United States. Nonimmigrant work visas allow different types of workers to seek employment opportunities in the U.S. for a temporary period of time. When you come to the U.S, it is important to have access to medical care and insurance that covers you for emergencies. You will want to consider insurance for any medical emergencies that could happen while you are in the U.S.

Get an Atlas Travel Quote

Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by Tokio Marine HCC – International Group.