What Is International Student Insurance
Want to enhance your worldview and add a new dimension to your undergraduate or graduate studies? There’s nothing quite like expanding your studies to a country other than your own to learn more than you ever could in a classroom. Experiencing other cultures first-hand can change your entire outlook on life. And while traveling abroad to a new country can be expensive and unpredictable, in a new country, international student insurance is designed to protect you from unexpected illnesses or accidents that may require medical attention while you pursue your education abroad. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) estimates that more than 3.4 million students are studying outside their home countries every year. Many of those students may have health insurance or government medical coverage in their home countries, but many health plans have strict limitations for students who are studying abroad. International student insurance helps fill the gaps in medical coverage while living and studying internationally.
Why Purchase International Student Health Insurance?
- Traveling without adequate medical coverage while you're studying overseas can be risky. A single injury or illness could leave you with large medical bills. You never know when you might need to see a doctor, visit an emergency room or fill a prescription. The out-of-pocket costs associated with these types of unexpected medical circumstances could be burdensome to your budget and your ability to pay tuition. International student health insurance ensures that you’ll be protected financially from unforeseen health complications.
Who Needs International Student Insurance?
International student insurance is beneficial for any student living away from his or her home country while studying internationally. Most colleges and universities in the U.S. require international students to obtain health coverage while studying in America, as do many other institutions of higher learning around the world. You may need international student insurance if:
You Need International Student Insurance If:
- You are a domestic student studying internationally outside the U.S.
- You are an international student studying within the U.S. on a J-1 visa, F-1 Visa, or OPT
- You are a full-time student or scholar studying outside your home country
Types of Insurance for International Students
Insurance for international students is provided on a short-term basis. This short-term coverage allows for an easy, month-to-month payment plan with pricing based on the destination and level of benefits. Students may not have access to coverage while in their home countries, but coverage abroad is usually comprehensive. It’s important for international students to seek out benefits that not only meet, but also exceed the requirements of the schools and governments in the countries they are visiting.
StudentSecure® International Student Insurance
StudentSecure insurance is specifically designed to meet the health coverage requirements of schools and governments around the world, including those imposed on students studying in the U.S. on a F-1 or J-1 Visa. Coverage is guaranteed based on a worldwide network of doctors and medical facilities that provide comprehensive care. You will receive benefits according to the type of plan you choose, but you can expect:
- Low deductibles (discounted for treatments administered in students health centers)
- Minimal out of pocket expenses
- Inpatient and outpatient coverage
- Coverage for ambulance transportation that results in inpatient treatment
- Coverage for injuries sustained while participating in collegiate or club sports
- Physical therapy benefits
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions following a waiting period
- Emergency Medical Evacuation coverage
Studying abroad is an investment in your education and future, but living internationally without insurance coverage – even for a short time – is a risky endeavor. Find out more about StudentSecure Insurance international student health insurance and get your free quote today.
International Student Health Insurance Options
HCC Medical Insurance Services, LLC (HCCMIS) is a service company that is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings Inc. HCCMIS is regulated by the State of Indiana in our capacity as Third Party Administrator. HCCMIS has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.