J-1 Visa Insurance

Planning to participate in a work or study-based exchange program in the United States? You’re likely aware that the U.S. government requires most international visitors to possess a visa in order to enter the country.

But if you’re applying for a J-1 visa, you’ll need more than just the standard visa requirements, like a birth certificate and valid passport. You’ll also need proof of travel medical insurance that meets J-1 visa requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State.


What Is a J-1 Visa?

A J-1 visa is a short-term, non-immigrant visa issued to international visitors by the United States. The visa allows approved individuals to enroll in work-and-study-based exchange programs in order to teach, study, conduct research, or receive on-site job training in the USA.

J-1 visa programs include:

  • Au pair
  • Camp counselor
  • College or university student
  • Government visitor
  • Intern
  • International visitor
  • Physician
  • Professor and research scholar
  • Secondary school student
  • Short-term scholar
  • Specialist
  • Summer work travel
  • Teacher
  • Trainee


How Do I Apply for a J-1 Visa?

To apply for your J-1 visa, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  1. Choose the program that best applies to you and use the State Department’s Designated Sponsor List to find a certified sponsor. Your sponsor will be your main point of contact throughout the length of your program as well as the facilitator of your J-1 visa application process.
  2. Through your certified sponsor, acquire and complete the Form DS-2019.
  3. Apply for your J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  4. Prepare for and complete your visa interview.
  5. Obtain travel medical insurance that meets all J-1 visa requirements.


What Are My J-1 Visa Insurance Options?

The type of program you are enrolled in will help you determine which travel medical insurance plan is right for you. For the J-1 visa applicant, Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group offers two travel medical plans with varying levels of coverage – both of which meet J-1 visa requirements:

Upon your purchase of an Atlas Travel or StudentSecure plan, Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group will send you a visa letter to serve as proof of insurance.


How Atlas Travel and StudentSecure Meet J-1 Visa Insurance Requirements


Explore J-1 visa insurance requirements and learn how the two plans compare below:

J-1 Visa Insurance Requirements

Atlas Travel


Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness

✔ Up to $2,000,000 in maximum coverage for those under age 65

✔ Coverage options begin at $100,000 per accident/illness and go up to $500,000

Repatriation of remains in the amount of at least $25,000

✔ Coverage is included in the overall maximum limit and begins at $50,000

✔ Plans cover repatriation of remains from $25,000 to $50,000

Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of at least $50,000

✔ $1,000,000 lifetime maximum for emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. Costs for air or ground transportation ticket home are also provided for eligible injuries/illnesses.

✔ Plans offer coverage from $50,000 up to $500,000 for emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. Costs for air or ground transportation ticket home are also provided for eligible injuries/illnesses.

A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

✔ Deductible options start at $0

✔ Deductibles range from $25 to $50

Get an Atlas Travel quote

Get a StudentSecure quote


Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group international insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.