Planning to participate in a work or study-based exchange program in the United States? You’re likely aware that the U.S. government requires most international visitors to possess a visa in order to enter the country.
But if you’re applying for a J-1 visa, you’ll need more than just the standard visa requirements, like a birth certificate and valid passport. You’ll also need proof of travel medical insurance that meets J-1 visa requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State.
What Is a J-1 Visa?
A J-1 visa is a short-term, non-immigrant visa issued to international visitors by the United States. The visa allows approved individuals to enroll in work-and-study-based exchange programs in order to teach, study, conduct research, or receive on-site job training in the USA.
J-1 visa programs include:
- Au pair
- Camp counselor
- College or university student
- Government visitor
- International visitor
- Professor and research scholar
- Secondary school student
- Short-term scholar
- Summer work travel
How Do I Apply for a J-1 Visa?
To apply for your J-1 visa, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Choose the program that best applies to you and use the State Department’s Designated Sponsor List to find a certified sponsor. Your sponsor will be your main point of contact throughout the length of your program as well as the facilitator of your J-1 visa application process.
- Through your certified sponsor, acquire and complete the Form DS-2019.
- Apply for your J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Prepare for and complete your visa interview.
- Obtain travel medical insurance that meets all J-1 visa requirements.
What Are My J-1 Visa Insurance Options?
The type of program you are enrolled in will help you determine which travel medical insurance plan is right for you. For the J-1 visa applicant, Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group offers two travel medical plans with varying levels of coverage – both of which meet J-1 visa requirements:
- Atlas Travel®: Designed for those traveling to the U.S. for leisure travel or work-related reasons.
- StudentSecure®: Designed for those planning to enroll as a student in the U.S. To help meet your specific needs and budget, StudentSecure is offered in 4 different levels of coverage:
Upon your purchase of an Atlas Travel or StudentSecure plan, Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group will send you a visa letter to serve as proof of insurance.
How Atlas Travel and StudentSecure Meet J-1 Visa Insurance Requirements
Explore J-1 visa insurance requirements and learn how the two plans compare below:
J-1 Visa Insurance Requirements
|Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness||
✔ Up to $2,000,000 in maximum coverage for those under age 65
✔ Coverage options begin at $100,000 per accident/illness and go up to $500,000
|Repatriation of remains in the amount of at least $25,000||
✔ Coverage is included in the overall maximum limit and begins at $50,000
✔ Plans cover repatriation of remains from $25,000 to $50,000
|Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of at least $50,000||
✔ $1,000,000 lifetime maximum for emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. Costs for air or ground transportation ticket home are also provided for eligible injuries/illnesses.
✔ Plans offer coverage from $50,000 up to $500,000 for emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. Costs for air or ground transportation ticket home are also provided for eligible injuries/illnesses.
|A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness||
✔ Deductible options start at $0
✔ Deductibles range from $25 to $50
Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group international insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.