You are standing in the shadows of a mountain. The peak towers over you – as if mocking you and saying, “You cannot defeat me.” You close your eyes and take in the world around you – the mountain air, the chill in your bones, the cry of a single bird that breaks the silence that surrounds you. You imagine standing on the top of the peak and that is the only motivation you need to power through the terrain. Atlas Travel® from HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS) can keep you protected as you travel the world scaling new mountainous landscapes and expanding your mountaineering skills.
While many insurance companies charge extra to cover extreme sports, Atlas Travel insurance includes coverage for mountaineering injuries that occur while abroad at no additional charge.* We offer several different Atlas Travel plans depending on your destination for mountaineering and how many are in your group. Atlas America® is designed for those whose travel incudes the U.S. or Canada. If you are traveling outside of the U.S., we have Atlas International® insurance. Traveling with a group? If you have 5 or more in your group, you should check out Atlas Group® for a discounted rate!
* Mountaineering at elevations of 7,000 meters or higher is not covered.
Top Five Places to Go Mountaineering
One of the best things about mountaineering is that it can take you around the world. So why not go to some new places, discovering the world from a new peak? Check out this list of five great places to climb:
Great Places to Mountain Climb
- Kilimanjaro - The flat-topped African mountain provides a fantastic opportunity for climbers of all skill levels. Once you reach the top, you will be able to look out over the area surrounding the mountain and see a wide variety of bird and animal life.
- The Andes - Are you looking for a climb that will take you through a variety of ecosystems? If so, the Incan Trail in the Andes Mountains of Peru is a great place for you! You will travel through plains, deserts, tropical cloud forests, and make it to the lost city of Machu Picchu.
- Mount Everest - It is near impossible to make a list of places to mountaineer and not include Mount Everest. The peak of Mount Everest stands at 29,035 feet above sea level, making it the tallest peak on Earth. For many climbers, making it to the top of Everest is the ultimate challenge.
- The Matterhorn - If you choose to climb The Matterhorn, you will be climbing where the sport of mountaineering was born. This domineering mountain peak is famous for its pyramid-like appearance. If you like climbing at its purest, then this is place for you!
- Mount Elbrus - If you have always wanted to visit Russia or Eastern Europe, then this is the perfect mountain to climb. Mount Elbrus is located in the Caucasus Mountains and provides a great place for moderately skilled climbers to push their climbing game to the next level.
HCCMIS Benefits and Services
You would not go climbing without a friend, guide, or anchored ropes, so why travel without insurance? Purchasing mountaineering insurance before you leave home will help you avoid high medical bills that result from mountaineering accidents. We provide some great coverage that could come in handy for an adventurous climber like you. At HCCMIS, we are experienced and efficient in handling international medical emergencies for our members. We have 15 years’ of experience caring for our members while they are on overseas adventures and coordinating their medical care in different languages and across borders.
Benefits of Mountaineering Insurance Coverage
- Online quote, purchase, and fulfillment so you get the coverage you need in 5 minutes or less!
- Up to $1 million in coverage for eligible injuries or illnesses
- 100% coverage for eligible injuries and illnesses outside the U.S.
- $500,000 in Emergency Medical Evacuation coverage
- No copay for emergency room visits for injuries Physician visits and hospitalization
- Prescription medication coverage
- Emergency ambulance transport coverage
- Physical therapy visits
Key Benefits of Atlas Travel® insurance from HCCMIS
|Covered Benefits||Provided With Atlas Travel insurance|
|Guaranteed Acceptance||Yes: No medical underwriting is required for eligible individuals. See the Description of Coverage for full eligibility|
|Coverage for pre-existing conditions||Partially: Up to $100,000 lifetime life for the eligible medical expense for the acute onset of a pre-existing condition. See the Description of Coverage for more details.|
|100% coverage for accidents and injuries outside the U.S.||Yes: We will pay 100% of eligible medical expenses after the deductible, up to the overall maximum limit of the policy. See the Description of Coverage for more details|
|100% coverage for accidents and injuries inside the PPO||Yes: For eligible expenses within the PPO Network. See the Description of Coverage for more details.|
|Sports coverage at no additional charge||Yes: Coverage for eligible injuries or illnesses related to sports activities,. See the Description of Coverage for for limitations.|
|Emergency medical evacuations available 24/7||Yes, $500,000 in coverage regardless of policy maximum.|
|Complete online enrollment capabilities & immediate fulfillment||Yes: Selecting 'Yes' to online fulfillment when purchasing will ensure your policy information will be available to print once your application has been processed and your credit card approved.|
At HCCMIS, we understand the stress of planning a trip, which is why we offer 24/7 customer service that can help you find the right plan or answer any questions you may have about an existing plan. We also offer a number of travel assistance services that you might find helpful: pre-trip destination information, emergency cash transfers, medical monitoring, assistance in replacing passports and other travel documents, and many more! You can learn more about these and our other services by visiting our Customer Services page!
Just love learning about extreme sports? Read more below or check out our blog for more destination based travel tips!