USA Tourist Visa Insurance

Atlas Travel Insurance


Customizable travel medical insurance for single trips.



Get a Quote

For those planning on traveling to the U.S. for a holiday, vacation, medical treatment, or tourism, then you may need to have the B2 tourist visa. A USA tourist visa is for those who wish to travel in the U.S. for more than 90 days. If you are going to enter the U.S. through a private means of transportation, you most likely will also need a tourist visa.

As you begin the USA tourist visa application process, you should keep in mind that the U.S. Department of State recommends some non-immigrant visa holders to acquire health insurance in order to establish an applicant’s eligibility. By visiting the U.S. Department of State’s website you can verify if having insurance is a requirement for your visa type. Either way, having insurance will help you verify and establish credibility that you are indeed ready and responsible enough to receive a USA tourist visa.

What is a B2 Visa?

  • The B2 is often confused with the B1 Visa because both are classified as visitor visas. However, the B1 Visa is for those traveling for business, while the B2 Visa is a tourist visa. A consular office will ultimately decide which visa is appropriate based on the nature of your trip, but it will be beneficial if you also know which type of visa is more appropriate for you and your trip.

Tourist Visa Requirements and Documents

When filing for a tourist visa, there are several forms that must be completed and supporting documents that must be provided to qualify for the visa. It is important to gather these things before you begin your visa process, so that you have all of the necessary information in front of you as complete forms and answer questions. Here are some of the more common documents that you will have to provide and fill out during the tourist visa application process.

1Visa Requirements
  • A passport that will be valid for at least six months after your return home. The length of validity demonstrates that you are planning to return home and ensures that you will be able to re-enter your home country.
  • Fill out the visitor visa application (Form DS-160). This is first real step in the entire process. From this application, consulate officers will begin to process your case for a B2 Visa. Your application will also be used during your visa interview.
  • Pay application and issuance fees. There are two types of visa fees: the visa application processing fee and the visa issuance fee. For the B2 Visa, your application processing fee will be 160 U.S. dollars. Your visa issuance fee is a fee that you must pay in the event you are issued your B2 Visa. The issuance fee is based on a few factors: type of visa and your home country.
  • Bring one 2in×2in photograph to the interview. Your photograph must be in color, taken within the last six months, and show your full face with a neutral expression. The U.S. Department of State provides a full list of photograph requirements that you must follow.

Some of the above documents and forms change depending on the visa type. However, there are certain documents that every applicant must provide during their application process. In order to approve your application, consulate officers need these documents:

2Visa Documents
  • Purpose of Trip: It is your job to tell consular officers what the purpose of your trip is. If you are simply going for tourism, then you should provide documents like itineraries that show your travel plans, where you are staying, and what you are going to be doing. If you are coming to the U.S. for medical treatment, then you need to provide documentation that establishes you have in fact made contact and scheduled appointments with a medical facility.
  • Intentions of Leaving the U.S.: You must provide documents that show your intentions of departing the U.S. Because you are traveling on a visa, your time in the States is limited, and the consulate officer who is conducting your interview will want proof that you intend to leave the U.S. when your visa has expired.
  • Financial Support: Another important piece of documentation your consular officer will be looking for is financial support. How are you paying for your trip? How are you going to pay for things once you are in the U.S.? If you personally have the money, then you will need to only provide bank statements that show you have the financial means. However, if you are receiving money from someone—like your parents—then you will need to prove that you will have financial support while you travel through the U.S.

The Visa Waiver Program

The visa waiver program was created to allow citizens from certain countries to travel freely throughout the U.S. without having to obtain an actual visa. In order to qualify for the visa waiver, you must be from one of 37 countries, and you must plan to stay in the U.S. for 90 days or fewer. In order to enter the country through the visa waiver program, you must have a valid machine-readable passport and complete and be approved through the Electronic System of Travel Authorization (ESTA). Once you arrive at your port of entry, you must also fill out an I-94W form, which is a free form that documents your arrival to and departure from the U.S. Be sure that you are living in one of the visa waiver program countries before you begin the visa application process or make your plans to travel. Not every country is on the list of participating countries, so make sure you qualify. If you do not qualify for the waiver program, then you should begin the application process for a tourist visa.

While the process of obtaining a tourist visa may seem overwhelming and full of steps, forms, and documents, it really is not that difficult once you start. The best way to get everything moving with your application process is to begin early. Depending on their locations, the wait times at embassies and consulates vary, so the processing time can be quick or somewhat slow. Just be sure you fill out all of the necessary forms, provide proper documentation, answer questions truthfully, and soon you will be traveling around the U.S.!

What happens if you get sick overseas? Guarantee you have health coverage.

Tourist Visa Insurance

HCCMIS offers Atlas Travel® insurance for individuals that need a tourist visa medical coverage.

USA Tourist Visa Insurance from HCCMIS includes

  • Semi-private hospital room including room and board cost
  • Nursing services
  • Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
  • Surgery and surgical services including the operating, treating, and recovery room following surgery
  • Dressings, sutures, casts, and other medically necessary supplies administered by a physician
  • Diagnostic testing (includes radiology, ultrasounds, and laboratory services)
  • Oxygen and anesthesia administered by a physician
  • Ambulance transportation to the hospital
  • Emergency room treatment for an injury
  • Emergency room treatment for an illness (must be admitted to the hospital as an inpatient for additional treatment)
  • Diagnostic testing (includes radiology, ultrasounds, and laboratory services)
  • Physical therapy

Get a Quote

Traveling on a Tourist Visa

Once you have your visa in hand, it is time to start traveling, which means even more planning. Your B2 Visa allows you to travel throughout the U.S. Traveling through the U.S. provides you a great opportunity to visit and see some pretty amazing things. In some cases you may just have one specific destination. No matter your plans, here are some tips on getting started.

  • Get Your Documents: Get your documents in order to start your trip off right. If you aren’t sure what documentation you need, visit the Department of State’s website. Once you are in the U.S., documents like your passport will not be checked all the time. In fact, you most likely will not need these documents until you are ready to leave the U.S. Under your visa, you should be able to travel around at your leisure.
  • Plan Your Transportation: Plan ahead to find the cheapest rates and best itineraries. Airline prices and rates have several factors: day of the week, how close the booking date is to the flight date, and peak months. For the best deals, you will want to book well in advance. If possible, schedule your flight for a weekday and during the fall or spring months. By doing these things, you are sure to get the best prices available.
  • Buy Insurance: Tourist visa insurance is designed to keep you safe and secure as you travel outside of your home country. Your domestic insurance most likely will not follow you as you travel abroad. When you purchase medical insurance while on a tourist visa you are helping yourself avoid high medical bills in the event of an illness or injury that may occur when you travel. Insurance like Atlas Travel insurance will also provide you with many great travel benefits that are designed to help your trip go much more smoothly.
  • Get Your Documents: Get your documents in order to start your trip off right. If you aren’t sure what documentation you need, visit the Department of State’s website. Once you are in the U.S., documents like your passport will not be checked all the time. In fact, you most likely will not need these documents until you are ready to leave the U.S. Under your visa, you should be able to travel around at your leisure.
  • Pack Your Belongings: Identify important belongings to make your trip complete. For many people, packing gets left for the night before a trip. However, when you do this for a tourist visa trip, you run the risk of forgetting something or, at the very least, stressing yourself out. Take the time and make a list of the items that you will need while you travel and begin packing at least a week before your trip. If you pack over time, you allow yourself to think of everything you may need, and you avoid the stress of packing in just a few hours.

Get an Atlas Travel Quote

Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by Tokio Marine HCC – International Group.