Student Visa Insurance
StudentSecure study abroad insurance



International student insurance with a customized payment plan.



Get a Quote


One of the best ways for young people to gain the valuable experience of international travel is through academic study abroad. If you're planning on coming to the United States for some of your education, you will need a visa. Fortunately, the U.S. offers student visas for those wanting to study in the U.S. as an international student.

When you come to the U.S, it is important to have access to medical care and insurance that covers you for medical emergencies. If you are on a student visa, you will want to consider insurance for any medical emergencies that could happen while you are in the U.S. HCCMIS offers StudentSecure® for those on a J-1 student visa or F-1 student visa. StudentSecure insurance is an excellent option for those looking for student visa medical insurance.

The U.S. Department of State recommends that some nonimmigrant visa holders provide proof of health insurance to establish an applicant's eligibility. Visit the U.S. Department of State's website to verify if this is recommended for your visa type.


Benefits of StudentSecure Student Visa Insurance

  • StudentSecure covers eligible sicknesses and injuries while traveling from your home country and enrolled as a full-time student or researcher in the U.S.
  • StudentSecure meets most college insurance requirements.
  • StudentSecure connects you with the World Service Center, a team of customer service professionals trained to assist in many languages in the event of sickness, accident, or other types of medical emergencies


Student Visas Insurance Benefits Description
Monthly Payment Option Yes: Coverage can be purchased in monthly increments.
International Network of Providers Yes: Online searchable provider list with participating providers in more than 130 countries.
U.S. PPO Network Yes: Online searchable provider network with physicians across the U.S.
Covers 100% in U.S. Yes: Eligible expenses within the PPO or at a Student Health Center are covered at 100% after the deductible. If expenses are incurred outside the PPO then after the deductible coinsurance applies. See description of coverage for details.
Covers at 100% Outside the U.S Yes: Eligible expenses incurred outside the U.S. are covered at 100% after the deductible.
Covers Prescription Drugs Yes: Covered for eligible injuries and illnesses and subject to deductible and coinsurance.
Outpatient & Inpatient Mental Health Coverage Yes: Treatment of mental health conditions covered.
Covers Maternity & Newborn Care Yes, under StudentSecure Elite, Select and Budget: For pregnancy which occurs after the effective date of coverage. See the Description of Coverage for details.
Inpatient Hospitalization Yes: Covered for eligible injuries and illnesses
Intercollegiate, Interscholastic, and Intramural, or Club Sports covered Yes: $5,000 maximum per injury or illness for medical expenses under StudentSecure Elite and Select. $3,000 under StudentSecure Budget.
Emergency Medical Evacuation coverage Yes: Participant is covered up to the lifetime policy maximum for emergency medical evacuation.
Repatriation of Remains Covered Yes: See the Description of Coverage for details.
Terrorism Coverage Yes, under StudentSecure Elite, Select and Budget: $50,000 maximum lifetime limit for eligible medical expenses.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage Yes: Benefit is not subject to deductible or coinsurance.
Insurance can also cover spouse and dependents No: StudentSecure does not provide coverage for family members.
Home Country Coverage Yes: StudentSecure offers incidental home country coverage and a benefit period. See the Description of Coverage for details.


Get a Quote


How to get an International Student Visa

1. Apply for School – The first step for foreign students looking to study in the US is to apply and be accepted by an SEVP certified school. Once a school has accepted you, the application process can begin. Make sure you find a school that has a program that you want to study, you can afford the tuition, and you have spoken with someone in the admission and financial aid offices. Once you have been accepted, the school will provide you with the necessary Form I-20 for attendance.

2. Choose a Student Visa – The next step in applying for your visa is determining which type of student visa you need. There are several types of student visas which include the J-1 and F-1. If you are a student who is participating in an approved exchange program, then you will need to apply for the J-1 visa. The students who need to apply for the F-1 visa are those traveling to the U.S. to study in an academic or language program. Need more information, visit our J-1 student visa page or our F-1 student visa page.

3. Schedule a Visa Interview – After determining which visa you need to obtain in order to study in the U.S., the next step is to register for a visa interview and apply online. You can schedule your interview through the U.S. Embassy website. Following a successful interview, your application will be processed and your student visa will be awarded. Individuals who buy StudentSecure are provided with proof of coverage which can be taken to your visa interview appointment.


Student Visa Types


J-1 Visa

The J-1 Visa is for those entering an educational exchange program. Before applying for a J-1 Visa, you must apply, fulfill the requirements, and be accepted for one of the exchange visitor program categories. There are a total of 14 different types of acceptable exchange programs. The programs range in appeal from college or high school students to business professionals. If you are looking to study or exchange ideas with someone in your field, then you probably will need the J-1 Visa. After you have decided which program best fits you and your needs, you can begin the application process.

Learn More about the J-1 Visa


F-1 Visa

The F-1 Visa is for students attending a university, college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or a language-training program. The F-1 Visa is only issued to students who have been accepted to a school, who are going to be enrolled as a full time student, and who want to complete their entire program in the U.S. After you have decided where you want to attend school, and what you want to study, you can begin the visa application process.


Get the free international student visa guide


Related Links

Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group international insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. Tokio Marine HCC - Medical Insurance Services Group (MIS Group) is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. Tokio Marine HCC - MIS Group has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency Ltd.